There are a few tips and tricks we’ll share that can help to make your marketing materials POP. However, before you jump right into creating your newest piece with these tips in mind, make sure you are building on a strong foundation. Ask yourself if you have these fundamental marketing basics covered:
- What sets you apart from the competition? – Call it a differentiator, a value proposition or a Unique Selling Proposition (USP), but before you can effectively target your messaging it’s important to pinpoint exactly what makes your business special. Remember, your differentiator is NOT about your product or service – there will be others selling the same thing. What distinguishes YOUR COMPANY from the competition? Is it the quality of the product, how you do business, how you make the customer feel, etc.?
- Who is your target customer? – Knowing your audience goes hand-in-hand with leveraging what makes you stand apart from others in the same business. You simply can’t create standout marketing materials if you don’t know exactly who you are trying to reach. What are their needs and how does what you sell solve their problems? Why would they choose you over your competitor?
Once these fundamentals are clearly defined, creating messaging that speaks directly to your customers will be so much easier! Your USP should be highlighted in everything you do. Every ad, every blog post or email should be developed from the perspective of a specific customer and how your message will solve a need they have.
Ok, now let’s jump into some simple tips you can use to make your marketing materials sizzle!
- Make Your Message is CLEAR. We know. It’s tempting to try to say all of the things! But restrain yourself. Stick to one distinct message. That message should most likely focus on why your product or service is the solution your target customer is looking for. Your marketing copy should be written to connect with your consumer and drive home why YOUR business is the solution to their problems. Remember that clutter results in overload. Keep your message clear, compelling and simple!
- Use Headings and Subheadings. Break your marketing copy up with headlines and subheadings that speak to your audience and grab attention. Nobody wants to sift through a lot of content to find out if this is something that they care about. And here’s the thing. They won’t. If something doesn’t grab the reader’s attention, they’ll toss it. Just like that. Most readers only scan marketing messages to find what’s in it for them. Headings and subheadings make it simple for consumers to quickly assess whether your message matters. Headings and subheadings are also very useful in helping you keep your message clear and focused!
- Choose Different. Items that are uniquely sized, shaped or designed truly do stand out from the pack. You don’t have much time to grab someone’s attention, so take advantage of the creative options available to you when developing your marketing materials. Yes, it’s a bit of a “hook,” but as long as your message is on point, your potential customer won’t be disappointed. There are lots of opportunities to consider – size, paper stock, fold, color, creative imagery, padded mailers, die-cutting, embossing, etc. Have fun with it! Another fun fact – people tend to hold on to these items longer!
- Offer an Incentive. Whether it’s a giveaway, a free download, a coupon, etc., an incentive delivers another avenue for getting noticed. And when your message is noticed, an incentive provides the opportunity to actually connect with your prospective customer. Whether it is stopping in for their free gift, capturing their email address in exchange for the free download or using their coupon to give you a try, the incentive is a sure-fire method for boosting response rates!