Buying a Copier
- Tax deductible – all new equipment for your business is tax-deductible.
- Lower cost over time – you will save money on interest.
- Streamlined process – you won’t have to sign a lease contract and deal with a third-party. If you want to sell the copier in a few years and upgrade, you will be able to at any time.
- Large cost upfront – the initial cost to purchase a copier can be a big investment. The copier will also decrease in value every year.
- Not having the latest and greatest – With any type of technology, there are always new advances on the horizon. While your purchased equipment won’t become obsolete in a few years, you might not have the latest bells & whistles.
- Maintenance – keeping your copier properly maintained can be costly – especially if you don’t have a maintenance contract.
Leasing a Copier
- Lower Upfront Cost – A short-term lease does not typically require an upfront deposit, so leasing has a much lower upfront cost than buying.
- Upgrade Options – At the end of the lease, much like leasing a car, you have the option to buy the copier or upgrade to a newer one.
- Maintenance – When you lease, the maintenance costs are all covered by the leasing company.
- Tax Deductible – The monthly lease payments are tax-deductible and there is no depreciation on the machine since you do not own it.
- No Interest Rate Impacts – Regardless of whether loan rates increase overtime, your monthly payments will remain static as outlined in your lease contract.
- No Outdated Equipment – With a lease, you can ensure that you always have the latest and greatest technology with your copier that suits your business’ needs.
- Required Lease Period – Most leasing companies will require a period of 2-5 years to lease the machine. If you do not plan to use the copier for that long, this could present an issue.
- Terms of the Contract – The terms that you must abide by in your contract may be strict and not always work for your business over time. Always evaluate the terms of your contracts.
- No Option to Sell – You are unable to sell the copier to recoup any costs since you do not own the machine.
- Higher Overall Costs – The initial out of pocket costs are low, but over time the lease payments may be more costly due to the interest rate and amount the leasing company charges.
- Terms of the Lease – Make sure you do your research and lease from a well-known, respectable provider that will meet your business needs. You do not want to be stuck in a lease where the terms make your life difficult!
Higher Information Group specializes in office equipment solutions customized to optimize your work environment from all of the top brands, including Canon, Toshiba, Lexmark, HP and Kyocera. We also offer flexible payment options. Ready to talk to one of our experts? Reach out today!
Higher Information Group Office Locations:
- Danville, PA
- Elmira, NY
- Rochester, NY
- Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Harrisburg, PA